If you are getting the error “Request is not supported” when trying to perform a backup then you need to look at the computer that is trying to perform the backup.
The backup error “The Request is not supported” doesn’t really tell you much on a possible cause. I have seen this get triggered on Windows 2008 servers, non-R2 versions, on different types of backup software.
One thing to look at is the O/S that is running the backup software, if you are backing up across the network it’s not the data source machine that’s the problem.
There is a hotfix available under Microsoft KB 973278 that needs to be installed on the machine that is running the backup software, a reboot will be required.
KB 9783278 describes the symptoms:
On a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you have an application that uses the BackupRead function. When you try to use the application to read a file which is located on another computer that is not running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, the operation fails.
The hotfix can be installed on:
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2008 Standard
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems
This will not work on Windows 2008 R2 versions.