If you are seeing Error Code 80244022 when trying to run Windows Update on either a workstation or server then it’s likely that computer had its updates deployed via WSUS or a similar patch deployment platform.
From time to time the link between the computer and the patch deployment management service will break triggering Error Code 80244022 whenever you try and check for new updates from the desktop of the computer.
If Windows Updates is no longer being managed by WSUS or a similar platform then the fix is rather easy.
- Open registry editor by clicking Start menu –> Run and typing regedit – click OK
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
- Modify the value of UseWUServer and change it from 1 to 0. The zero disables Windows Updates from using WSUS.
- Now go into Services.msc and restart the Windows Update Service.
- You should now be able to check for new available Windows Updates.
What causes Windows Update Error Code 80244022?
I still haven’t found exactly what breaks the Windows Updates to result in Error Code 80244022 but I do believe there are various reasons like the WSUS platform being decommissioned or even migrated. I do know though that I have seen Error Code 80244022 more than enough times. Whatever the cause of Error Code 80244022 the above fix should work.